Renewable energy is the energy of the future, but before it will be economically viable for the household users there are of course steps we can take to reduce our current energy footprint. Currently renewable energy as it is is more expensive money wise than fossil fuels and other energy sources.
Renewable energy is already viable in our opinion if you care for the environment.
We have to start reducing our current energy needs. If everybody tries to do their bit and conserves energy and not waste unnecessary we can do with less traditional coal fired or nuclear power plants.
Here are some tips to reduce your energy usage and save some money in the process.
- Hot water is the main source for electricity consumption in a modern household. Try to Reduce the temperature of your geyser to around 55 degrees so that you don’t have to mix too much cold water when you shower or do the dishes.
- Install a water-saving shower head which not only will reduce your water bill but also your electricity due to less use of hot water.
- When cooking keep the lids of the pots closed this will conserve heat and will save energy.
- Close the door every time you take something out of the fridge and defrost frozen foods by taking it out early enough instead of using the microwave to defrost (so plan in the morning what you are going to eat).
- Close windows/curtains and doors when you have your heater on to avoid hot air escaping.
- If you are going to make one cup of coffee boil only water for one cup. You’ll be amazed how much electricity that will save over time.
- Insulate your geyser by wrapping newspapers, old blankets or other insulating materials around it and around the hot water pipes.
- When you leave a room switch of the lights and appliances not in use. Also consider replacing your light bulbs with cfl or led lights which have a much lower electricity usage.
- Turn off all stand-by modes of appliances like tv,dvd players and computers every time you leave the house and before going to bed.
- Take a walk to your corner shop when buying the newspaper, not only will you save some money and energy in the process, but exercise in the form of walking will be good for body and soul.
So start cutting electricity usage and save money in the process.